Mauricio Pochettino has hinted that one player could now be involved for Chelsea when they face Everton this weekend.
He claimed in his pre-match press conference that Christopher Nkunku has a chance of being involved, although he did cast his personal doubt over that.
Nkunku is yet to make a competitive appearance for Chelsea since his £52m move over the summer.
He starred in pre-season, however fell to an unfortunate injury in the final game of the tour of the United States.
Even his return to training has been a boost for Chelsea supporters, who have certainly been left with the impression that something has been missing so far this season.
This has especially been the case in attack, which looked disjointed again in the 2-1 defeat against Manchester United during the week.
Nkunku could be involved
Pochettino has seemed to be keen to slowly reintroduce the Frenchman since his recovery stepped up, with talk originally being that the player was targeting a return straight after the international break.
He has now said that there is at least a chance he will be involved in some capacity at Goodison Park on Sunday.
He said: “Still assessing day by day, see tomorrow. I don’t believe that he will be involved but we need to assess day by day. We see also Malo Gusto but apart from that no.”
Nkunku’s return to fitness could be made a double boost with the return and debut of Romeo Lavia, after his big-money move from Southampton over the summer.
Chelsea’s midfield is currently looking leggy and in need of a refresh in some way, and his return could free the likes of Enzo Fernandez and Moises Caicedo to play in a slightly higher role.